In Seattle, we're lucky to have a city-wide gleaning effort coordinated among several groups. But what if you live outside of Seattle and want to donate or harvest fresh fruits and vegetables?
Here are a some gleaning groups we know of in Western Washington. Know of others? Send us a note at email@example.com. It's great when we can directly connect people with a gleaning project in their own area.
- City Fruit (Ballard, Phinney, Greenwood, Crown Hill, Wallingford, SE and West Seattle).
- Seattle's Giving Garden Network
- Port Angeles and Sequim: Olympic Gleaners
- Vancouver: Urban Abundance
- Port Townsend and Quilcene: Quimper Community Harvest
- Mount Vernon: Harvest for Hope
- Everett: Red Barn Community Farm
- Olympia: Thurston County Food Bank Gleaners
- Bellingham: Small Potatoes Gleaning Project
In 2009, Lettuce Link published an urban fruit harvest guide, written by harvest and fruit tree extraordinaire, Gail Savina. Gather It! How to Organize an Urban Fruit Harvest -- all the steps and resources to start a harvest project of your own.
Want to start something in your area? We'd be happy to talk with you about tips, resources, and ideas.