- Create incentives for people to use the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (food stamps) to purchase fresh, locally-grown fruits and veggies?
- Encourage connections between preschools and small farms?
- Offer grants for the creation or expansion of community gardens?
- Amend laws to allow farmers of color, women, veterans, tribes and first-generation farmers increased access to USDA funds and other subsidies?
- Provide nutritious food on weekends and holidays for hungry schoolchildren?
So do we!!!
These fabulous progressive programs are just a few components of the Let's Grow Act, recently introduced into the U.S. House of Representatives by Rep. Marcia Fudge (D-OH). The Let's Grow Act recognizes the potential of community-based agriculture to address hunger and decrease obesity, especially among children, the elderly, and low-income Americans.
We need your support to help move this Bill forward!
Here's a sample letter to get you started:
Urban communities deserve access to healthy and affordable food, which can also expand local economies. I urge you to co-sponsor the Let's Grow Act! H.R.4351 introduced by Rep. Fudge (D-OH). Everyone should have access to nutritious and affordable food, and I believe that the Let's Grow Act will improve the lives of people in my community.
Seattle community leaders have stated their commitment to equitable access to healthy food and a health-centered food system with the Seattle Farm Bill Principles. I believe the Let's Grow Act builds on these principles and I urge you to show your support by becoming a co-sponsor. Thank you for your time and commitment to representing the voices of Washington's 7th district.(Not a constituent in Washington's 7th district? Enter your zipcode to find your Representative here.)