Jicama and Radish Brown Rice Salad
This recipe comes to us from the South Park Community Kitchen. It's a refreshing and delicious way to prepare spring radishes.
Preparation time: 50 minutes, including cooking rice
Yield: 6 servings
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 cups diced jicama
- 3 radishes, thinly sliced and chopped in half
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped
- ¼ cup toasted pumpkin seeds or pepitas
- ¼ - ½ cup quesa fresca or cotija, crumbled (optional)
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp cumin ground
- ¼ tsp chipotle chile powder
- To cook the rice, place 2 cups water and 1 cup brown rice into a small pot. Stir once and then bring to a boil. Cover with a lid, reduce the heat to a simmer, and cook on low heat for 45 minutes. Remove lid and let rest for 10 minutes, then fluff with a fork.
- Add the brown rice to a large mixing bowl and add other salad ingredients. Gently mix together to combine.
- In a jar with a lid, add all dressing ingredients. Cover with a tight fitting lid and shake for one minute to thoroughly mix. Note: this recipe makes about ½ cup of dressing but you will only need ¼ cup on the salad. Reserve remainder in the refrigerator.
- Add dressing to the salad, being careful not to overdress. Taste and season with salt and pepper as desired. Chill in fridge until ready to serve.